Understanding that Quinoa is a super-food and it’s 7 health benefits is good information. But you need to get it out of the knowing to the reality of actually eating it. Combine this superfood with another great healthy choice like sweet potatoes and you have a homerun recipe.
7 Health Benefits of Quinoa is:
- a complete protein-rich food that contains all 9 essential amino acids has almost double the fiber of other grains.
- contains a healthy dose of Iron.
- contains lysine which is great for tissue growth and repair.
- is a great source of magnesium.
- is high in Riboflavin (B2).
- has a high content of manganese which is a great antioxidant.
Here’s a great gluten-free, vegan recipe with Quinoa that is DELICIOUS!
Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes (from BodyMindGreen.com)
Makes 10 cakes (5 servings)
- 2 medium baked sweet potatoes (skins discarded)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper and set aside. Place prepared sweet potatoes in a large bowl and use a fork to mash potatoes against sides of bowl until only small chunks of potato appear. Stir in quinoa, scallions, garlic, salt, red pepper and cumin, stirring to thoroughly combine ingredients.
Using wet hands, begin shaping quinoa mixture into palm-sized patties, placing on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until mixture is gone.
Pour olive oil into a small bowl and use a silicone brush to lightly coat the top of each patty with oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
Drizzle approximately 1 Tbsp. Avocado-Lime Dressing (below) on top of two patties and serve.
Avocado-Lime Dressing (gluten-free and vegan) Makes approximately 6 servings (2 Tablespoons per serving)
- 1 avocado, peel and pit removed
- 1 Tbsp. of sesame tahini
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 cilantro sprigs, minced
- juice of 1/2 lime
Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and pulse until smooth (about 1-2 minutes).
Serve over Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes, or use as a salad dressing.