This is an old subject here at Natural News because reader’s are very educated on nutrition. However, my patient base isn’t quite on to the basics and unfortunately, here in Indiana, many don’t even know what GMO means. They certainly aren’t aware of the dangers of Monsanto and big pharma!!! I encourage you to share this with family, friends and those not as savvy in the field. Any little bit of information can help!!!
WHAT is a GMO?????
What is a GMO?
A GMO (genetically modified organism) is the product of a lab process that takes genes from on species and inserts them into another species to attain a desired trait. Viruses or bacteria are used to infect animal or plant cells with the new DNA. The DNA is coated with tiny metal pellets and shot into the cells. Then, the new DNA is injected into fertilized eggs and electric shocks create holes in the membranes of sperm forcing the new DNA into the holes. Although, no research on humans has shown detrimental effects from eating GMO foods, numerous studies on animals have shown immune damage, pre-cancerous cell growth and many unexplained anomalies.
For more information on the history of GMO’s visit HERE
Here are the top 8 GMO foods to avoid
1. CORN– corn is the most prominent genetically modified crop here in the US. Please know your farmer if you want good fresh sweet corn–and ask what type of seeds he uses. Local farmer’s markets rock!!!
2. SOY–90% of soy is genetically engineered to be resistant to Monsanto’s Roundup.
3. SUGAR–since 2009, genetically modified beets have been used to make beet sugar.
4. ASPARTAME -not only is one of those toxic food additives, it is actually made from genetically modified bacteria.
5. PAPAYAS—yep, this wonderful fruit is exported here from Hawaii since 1999 and is genetically modified to be resistant to the Ringspot virus. They are banned in all European countries.
6. CANOLA– canola is made from rapeseed which is one of the most chemically modified and adapted oils.
7. DAIRY– 1/5 of all dairy cows are injected with rBGA growth hormone from Monsanto—Drink organic or plant-based. Remember that 93% of all soy is GMO— Silk Brand Soy milk is non-GMO.
8. ZUCCHINI AND YELLOW SQUASH– most are genetically modified to resist viruses.
Luckily, Connecticut and Maine have recently passed laws requiring manufacturers to label all products with Genetically Engineered ingredients.
4 Tips to avoiding GMO
1. Buy organic–labels saying 100% organic or made with organic ingredients
2. Buy Non GMO–labels saying “artificial hormone free”
3. Avoid high risk ingredients–corn, soybean, canola, cottonseed, sugar beets, corn syrup
4. Download shopping guide and get the app “ShopNoGMO”—a great app with plenty of good information and specific products to avoid.
About the author:
Angela DeBord Henriksen, MD received her undergraduate degree in Biology from Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana and her MD degree from Indiana University School of Medicine. She completed her residency training in Internal Medicine through St. Vincent’s Hospital in Indianapolis. Dr. Henriksen currently has a private practice at IU Health after serving as a hospitalist there.
For more information visit her site