The summer can leave your skin with extra pigmentation and brown spots known as melasma or hyper-pigmentation. The best way to avoid this is by avoiding direct sun, especially during peak hours, keeping your face covered and by applying a natural sunscreen. There are a few things you can do to internally to keep the skin clear. First of all, you need to stay hydrated. Secondly, you should begin every morning with one half an organic lemon squeezed in a glass of water. Lastly, you should make sure to eat a lot of liver loving foods such as greens (dandelion, kale, spinach, collard greens and arugula) or blue green algae. As for topical application, there are some foods that fight hyper-pigmentation and naturally lighten the skin. This will take time and dedication. One overzealous outing without sunscreen and all of your efforts can be erased resulting in a reappearance of brown spots.
Here is an easy DIY recipe that you can make to lighten dark spots over time.
This is what you will need to gather for your mask:
- 1 ripe organic strawberry (pureed)
- 1/2 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tbs raw honey
- 1 tsp champagne
- 1 tsp Golden Path Alchemy Illuminate Herbal Mask (finely ground licorice, shiitake mushroom, hawthorn berry and Fullers Earth clay). You can substitute oats if necessary.
Mix all ingredients into a thick paste and apply to a cleansed face and neck. Leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Follow with toner and moisturizer.
Benefits of the Herbal Mask:
- Shiitake contains kojic acid, which lightens the skin naturally and is antioxidant rich thus preventing premature aging.
- Hawthorn berry is used topically to block excessive pigmentation of the skin and to reduce the appearance of age spots.
- Fullers Earth clay purges impurities from the skin while also lightening the outer epidermal layer of the skin. Fullers Earth clay is also beneficial for reducing acne, scars, blemishes, and age spots.
- Champagne is rich in tartaric acid to promote cellular growth and gently exfoliate the skin.
Enjoy your radiant, glowing skin!
-Ashley Beckman Murray
Licensed Acupuncturist & Herbalist
Organic Beauty & Holistic Lifestyle Expert