You’ve probably heard about ginseng at some point another; it gets tossed around a lot and it’s one of the key components of the ever popular “energy drinks” aside from the insane amount of sugar. However, Ginseng is a good thing that often gets a bad rap (by association). Ginseng benefits are plentiful and not only can it be used as an awesome aide to things like weight loss and general health, but it can also help cure a lot of common illnesses.
The most important facts about ginseng:
- Science has differentiated two different types of ginseng with two separate sets of benefits. The first, is Asian Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) and American Ginseng (Panax Quinquefolius)
- Most sources agree, Asian Ginseng is more potent and stimulating than American Ginseng.
- There are some products that contain the word “ginseng” but do not actually contain ginsenosides (the primary beneficial aspect of Asian and American Ginseng). Some of these are Eleuthero, or Siberian Ginseng.
The benefits of Ginseng
Studies have shown a plethora of great benefits of Ginseng, however some are definitely more supported than others. Below are some great benefits that you’ll find in both American and Asian Ginseng (again, Asian is more potent). There are effects and disorders / ailments that ginseng helps with listed below.
- Immune boosting side effects
- Concentration and energy improvement
- Overall wellness
- Blood sugar improvement
- Thinking and memory issues, counteracting anti-depressant side effects.
- Holistic diabetes treatment
- Male impotence (ED / Erectile Disfunction)
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- Premature orgasm or ejaculation
- Improved athleticism / calorie burning
- Improved mood in average adults
- Menopausal Symptoms
- Cancer (stomach, lung, liver, ovarian, skin)
- Common Cold
How to Make Ginseng Tea
1) Bring pot of water to boil, add 1 tsp. ginseng per cup of water.
2) Steep at minimum 10 minutes, covered.
3) Strain and enjoy.
Additions to Ginseng Tea for Flavor
My favorite additions to Ginseng tea are honey and lemon. You may even see pre-made honey lemon ginseng tea at the store. Lemon has awesome detoxifying side effects and honey adds a little sweetness to the tea that really makes a difference.