Body brushing is a fast, effective and feel-good way to start your day on the healthy path. Your skin is the largest organ in your body and plays a large role in detoxification, nutrient absorption and absorbs one-third of all the blood that is circulating in your body. Because it is such a visual organ, when toxic build-up in present in the system, signs of toxicity can appear for all the world to see. Besides feeling amazing, body brushing can help with the following:
- Increases circulation, which can help eliminate the appearance of cellulite
- It removes dead skin cells, allowing for faster renewal of new skin
- It helps unblock clogged pores, which will allow for your oils, lotions and topical applications to be better absorbed
- It helps with lymphatic drainage, which is essential for eliminating toxins from the system
Body brushing can be easily incorporated into any morning routine and only takes a few minutes. Here’s how to body brush:
1. Begin with dry skin and brush in a circular motion, starting with the bottom of the feet
2. Work your way up each leg, transitioning into long, smooth strokes. Always brush toward the heart.
3. Move on to your upper legs, thighs, and buttox; then proceed onto your stomach, brushing in a circular, clockwise motion. Move onto your chest, again sweeping the brush toward the heart. Be careful with sensitive skin around the stomach and around your chest or breasts.
4. Use circular motions again on the palms of each hand, then long strokes up each arm, again toward the heart.
5. When finished, make sure to shower to wash away dead skin and to open pores.
6. Follow your shower with a moisturizer, like coconut oil or shea butter.
7. Do not body brush skin that is broken, has a rash or is sunburned. When selecting a brush, make sure to get one with natural (not synthetic) bristles.
After this routine, your skin will feel invigorated and tingly. It’s especially pleasurable incorporated into a nighttime bath routine.