There are several good reasons chia seeds have been on everyone’s minds these days.
Good Reasons You Should Eat Chia Seeds
1. Packed with nutrients
Chia seeds are loaded with fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium, manganese, and phosphorus.
2. Low in calories
1 ounce chia seeds only contains around 120 calories
3. They are high in antioxidants
Chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants, as we all know that antioxidants fight the production of free radicals, which can damage molecules in cells and contribute to aging and diseases like cancer.
4. They are gluten-free
Chia seeds are gluten-free, and normally grown organically.
5. Super high in fiber
Chia seeds are 40% fiber, by weight, this makes them a great source of fiber. Plus, because of their high fiber content, chia seeds can absorb 10 times their weight in water and this will fill you up easily, thus helping you eat less.
6. Chia seeds are high in quality protein, much higher than most plant foods.
7. Like flax seeds, chia seeds are very high in omega-3 fatty acids.
8. Due to the high content of fiber, protein and omega-3s, chia seeds may improve metabolic health.
9. They are high in calcium and magnesium, which are essential for bone health.
10. They are so easy to incorporate into your diet!
So, eat your chia seeds; and try eating them in new, and fun, ways. From chia pudding to chia pops, these ideas will have you excited to eat your chia!
1) One great way to get more chia seeds into your diet (and your family’s) is by adding them to anything you bake. If you have a sweet tooth and love baking brownies or cookies, add a tablespoon (or two) of chia seeds to the batter. It will not change the taste at all, and if you prefer a little crunch, you can add even more and give your baked goods a nutty crunch.
2) If you have a protein shake or a green smoothie for breakfast, toss in a teaspoon of chia seeds. Again, it will not change the taste, but will add a powerful punch of nutrients.
3) Chia pudding is all the rage lately, and for good reason: This stuff is delicious! To make chia pudding, simply mix the following ingredients together and then store in the fridge until it thickens. If you want to get crazy, mix it up! Add fruit, add pomegranate seeds, add chocolate! Whatever you love, add it and see how it turns out.
•1 cup milk (almond milk is a great choice)
•1/4 cup chia seeds
•1 tsp vanilla
•2 teaspoons sweetener (you can use stevia, sugar, maple syrup, honey whatever you prefer)
4) Ever heard of a chia pop? Basically add three tablespoons of chia seeds to two cups of any type of milk, and then mix. Next, add one tablespoon of sugar, and mix. Now add berries or the fruit of your choice and stir. Then simply pour this mixture into popsicle molds and freeze. Voila, a tasty, cool snack for hot days!
5) Chocolate mousse is one of everyone’s favorite desserts, and it can be made healthier with chia seeds. You will need:
•1/4 cup chia seeds
•1 can coconut milk
•2 tbsp coconut butter (not coconut oil!)
•4 to 5 tbsp of sweetener (maple syrup works best here)
•1/2 tsp vanilla
•1/3 cup cacao powder
Grind the chia seeds in a coffee grinder for about 30 seconds and set aside. In a food processor, process the coconut milk, coconut butter, sweetener and vanilla. Then add in the cacao powder and process until smooth. Add the chia seeds and process until the pudding is completely smooth. Pour into individual bowls and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before enjoying.
6)Sprinkle a teaspoon of chia seeds on your fruit, mix them into your yogurt, or you can simply make a delicious combination of the two. You’ll get a quick omega-3 punch in your snack.
More posts by author: