Bentonite clay is an ancient healing clay used by cultures throughout history for their ability to rid the body of toxins. It has been used for years for both internal and external detoxification and for its anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-yeast and general disinfectant properties.
Bentonite clay has a high concentration of minerals such as calcium, silica, magnesium, potassium, sodium and iron. When the clay comes into contact with a toxin, chemical or heavy metal it will absorb the poison and release its minerals for the body to utilize. A study from ASU has shown that bentonite is highly effective at killing E.Coli, Salmonella and even MRSA.
Bentonite helps to get oxygen to cells by removing excess hydrogen and allowing it to be replaced by oxygen. It is also a common in detox and cleansing products and when taken correctly it has an alkalizing effect on the body and helps to balance gut bacteria. The clay itself has a strong negative charge which bonds to the positive charge of many toxins. When it is mixed with water it swells open like a highly porous sponge drawing out toxins though electrical attraction.
Bentonite has been used for detoxification, recovery from vomiting and diarrhea, digestive disturbances, skin issues, allergies and even oral health. Because of its universal health properties bentonite healing clay should be a staple in every medicine cabinet.
How to use Bentonite Clay:
*Do not allow bentonite to come into contact with anything metal, as it will reduce its effectiveness. If taking internally do not take within one hour of food or two hours of medication or supplements. Always consult with a doctor before using if you have a medical condition.
• Internal Cleansing- Mix a tablespoon of clay and ½ tablespoon of psyllium husks with 8 ounces of water. Take on an empty stomach preferably early morning or late evening. Make sure to drink lots of water during the day to help facilitate the clay to remove toxins from the intestines.
• Detox Bath- Adding ¼ cup bentonite clay to your bath creates a relaxing, detoxifying mud bath that is great to remove toxins and condition the skin.
• Facial Mask- Make a paste with water or apple cider vinegar. I prefer ACV. Mix it together to make a paste and apply to your face similar to a salon spa. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and wash off. Your face will be bright red and might be pulsating a little. That is a good thing. All of your pores are opened and breathing. This can be done weekly. It is a great way to revitalize your skin and help make a healthy, youthful complexion.
• Skin Disorders/Problems- Make a paste similar to the description above, using either water or Apple Cider Vinegar. Apply it to any skin irritations such as blemishes, burns, cuts, or bites. It is extremely helpful for skin disorders such as chicken pox, eczema, psoriasis, etc. Let it dry for 20-30 minutes and then wash off. For major issues you can apply a thick layer to the affected area, cover with a wet cloth or gauze and replace every couple of hours.
• Oral Health- Bentonite is great for remineralizing teeth and can be used as a toothpaste or mouth wash. For toothpaste mix with baking soda, coconut oil, hydrogen peroxide and peppermint oil. As a mouthwash mix ½ a teaspoon of clay with ¼ cup of water. Swish in mouth for 1-2 minutes. Rinse with water and then repeat until solution is finished.
• Pet Health- If your pet is sick, vomiting or showing other signs of illness you can mix a little clay with their water and or give it orally with a dropper.
• Muscle and Joint pain- Make a paste using water or Apple Cider Vinegar and apply a layer to affected area. Allow clay to dry 20-30 minutes and then wash off. It can be very beneficial to relieve arthritis, carpal tunnel, bruises and sprains.
When taken internally bentonite removes toxins from the digestive system, cleanses the colon, stimulates liver function, reduces food allergies and improves the immune system. Externally it removes toxins by drawing them through the skin. Because of its versatility and healing properties bentonite is a MUST HAVE for household natural medicine kits.