Fifty four percent of American adults drink coffee on a daily basis.(1) There has been a long standing debate whether coffee is good or bad for our health. Recent research has shown that long term coffee drinkers may have a decreased risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson’s disease and even gallstones. (2)
Research shows that long term coffee drinkers have lower risk of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson’s disease and gallstones!
Decades ago, doctors were warning patients about the risks of caffeine and coffee’s potential relationship with cancer. The last decade of research has changed what medical professionals through they knew about coffee’s relationship with cancer. (3)
Numerous studies show that coffee contains cancer fighting properties due to the antioxidants that it contains. Most studies show the greatest benefits when drinking four or more cups of caffeinated coffee daily.(3)
Four or more cups of coffee per day could help protect against many different types of cancer!
If your still hesitant to pour yourself another cup, consider the following studies:
- Oral Cancer: One study found that more than 4 cups of coffee decrease oral cancer and head cancers by 39 percent!(3)
- Uterine Cancer: A 2010 study found that women who drink more than 2 cups of coffee per day have a lower risk of developing uterine cancer.(3)
- Prostate Cancer: A 2009 study found that six cups of coffee per day reduce risk of prostate cancer by 60 percent! (3)
- Brain Cancer: Another 2009 study found that 5 or more cups of coffee per day can decrease the risk of brain cancer by 40 percent!(3)
- Colon Cancer: Several studies have found that coffee can decrease the risk of colon cancer. One study found that drinking four or more cups of coffee per day decreased bowel cancer recurrence by 42 percent. Another study found that two cups of coffee can decrease risk of colon cancer by 25 percent. Additional studies supported these statistics verifying that coffee does indeed cut risk of colorectal cancers. (3)
- Breast Cancer: A 2008 study found that consuming 3 cups of coffee per day can prevent or delay the onset of breast cancer. A different study found that consuming 2 cups of coffee with breast cancer prescription drug, tamoxifen, resulted in a 49 percent decrease in breast cancer recurrence.(3)
- Liver Cancer: A 2007 study found that coffee drinking have a 41 percent reduced risk of liver cancer.(3)
- Endometrial Cancer: A 2015 study found that women who consume 3 cups of coffee per day reduce their risk of endometrial cancer by 19 percent!(3)
- Lung Cancer: A 2014 study found the caffeine inhibits proteins found in lung cancer cells, which prevents the cancer cell from growing and reproducing.(3)
- Skin Cancer: A 2014 study found that coffee drinkers were less likely to develop melanoma than non-coffee drinkers! (3)
If you are in the process of improving your diet and lifestyle and have entered the coffee debate, it may be beneficial to your daily coffee, just be careful what you add into your coffee. Make healthy choices in terms of sugars, flavorings or creamers to avoid the harmful effects of sugar laden additives.