All The Ways Your House Is Trying To Kill You


You know all the obvious dangers in your house- broken smoke alarms, electrical outlets that aren’t child-proofed, or open flames, for example. But what you might not realize is that sometimes, the biggest dangers in your house are much less obvious. Make sure to inspect these areas of your house to ensure your family’s safety.


Did you know that small things like your medicine cabinet and your house plants can be dangerous in certain situations? Medicines that you probably take without thinking twice (like acetaminophen and ibuprofen) can sometimes cause bad reactions, so make sure to speak with your pharmacist about any potentially dangerous medication combinations. Several varieties of house plants are potentially toxic as well, and they need to be kept out of the reach of children and pets.

Rodents and vermin can start fires by gnawing on the wires inside your home. Sometimes, their droppings can also contaminate insulation in your home with odors and diseases. Make sure to treat rodent problems in your home right away, since they breed so quickly. A pest control professional will be necessary if they’re living in the walls.

If stored improperly, fumes from old paint may leak into your house and eventually cause headaches and respiratory problems. Along the same lines, make sure to have a certified lead inspector do a thorough inspection of your home, since chipped lead paint particles may be fatal if inhaled or ingested. And while it may seem obvious that consuming cleaning products is toxic, you might not realize that some cleaning products can be hazardous to even inhale; for example, ammonia and bleach combined produces a deadly gas.


Mowing the lawn may seem like a mundane chore, but it can be incredibly dangerous. Mowing wet grass can lead to ankle sprains or more serious accidents, but if your lawn is too dry and a spark from a grill lands on the lawn, you may start a suburban wildfire. Around 80,000 people each year are sent to the hospital due to injuries caused by a rock or stick being run over by a lawn mower.

Around 30 Americans were killed in deck collapses between 2000-2008, so inspect your deck regularly and treat it with water-resistant stains to reduce decomposition. Finally, while you may love cooking mushrooms, the mushrooms on your lawn could very well be poisonous- if you aren’t sure if it’s edible, play it safe and don’t eat it.


Your home should be the place you go to feel safe, and by regularly inspecting and maintaining your home, it can remain that safe haven for you and your family.

Tate Handy